Clinical & Pathological Pattern of Hodgkin Lymphoma in Middle Euphrates Region of Iraq
Aims : To evaluate the pattern of patients with Hodgkin lymphoma (HL) in Middle Euphrates region of Iraq. Materials & Methods: A retrospective study conducted at Al- Hussein cancer center in Karbala province of Iraq between February 2012 and June 2020. Results: There were 193 patients with HL , 103 were male, 90 were female , M:F ratio was 1.14:1. Mean age at presentation was 27.17 years. Cervical lymph nodes was the common site for presentation (74.09%). Stage II was the most frequent stage (40.93%) while stage I was the least frequent (11.92%) . Of classical HL type , mixed cellularity was the most common (49.74%) , while nodular lymphocyte predominant was (1.55%) only. Regarding treatment outcome (79.27%) of patients achieved complete remission , (16.06%) relapsed , while (5.70%) were refractory. Conclusion: The distribution of HL is mostly in young patients , the disease usually presented in early stage with very good response to treatment.
2. Bray F, Ferlay J, Soerjomataram I, et al. Global cancer statistics 2018: GLOBOCAN estimates of incidence and mortality worldwide for 36 cancers in 185 countries. CA Cancer J Clin. 2018 Nov;68(6):394-424.
3. Hodgkin and non-Hodgkin lymphomas. In: Edge SB, Byrd DR, Compton CC, et al., eds.: AJCC Cancer Staging Manual. 7th ed. New York, NY: Springer, 2010, pp 607-11.
4. Feldman AL, Pittaluga S, Jaffe ES. Classification and histopathology of the lymphomas. In The lymphomas 2006 (pp. 2-38). Elsevier Inc.
5. Fadhil MS, Al-Nueimy WM, Lazim AF. Hodgkin's lymphoma. Saudi Med J. 2014;35(5):448-53.
6. Schmidt C, Pan L, Diss T, et al . Expression of B-cell antigens by Hodgkin's and Reed-Sternberg cells. Am J Pathol. 1991 Oct;139(4):701.
7. Gobbi PG, Ferreri AJ, Ponzoni M, et al . Hodgkin lymphoma. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol. 2013 Feb 1;85(2):216-37.
8. Fanale M, LaiC-M, Mc Laughlin P, et al. Outcomes of nodular lymphocyte predominant Hodgkin’s lymphoma (NLPHL) patients treated with R-CHOP. ASH Annual Meeting Abstracts, 2010Abstract 2812.
9. Mjali A, Al-Shammari HH, Abbas NT, et al . Leukemia Epidemiology in Karbala province of Iraq. Asian Pac J Cancer Care. 2019;4(4):135-9.
10. Dequ G and Tessema F. Biostatistics. University Gondar, Funded under USAID from the American people, Cooperative Agreement No. 663-A-00-00-0358-00. 2005.
11. Nakatsuka SI, Aozasa K. Epidemiology and pathologic features of Hodgkin lymphoma. Int J Hematol. 2006 Jun 1;83(5):391-7.
12. Mjali A, Al Baroodi BN. Some Facts About Cancers in Karbala province of Iraq, 2012-2020. Asian Pac J Cancer Care. 2020 Jun 7;5(2):67-9.
13. Yaqo RT, Hughson MD, Sulayvani FK, et al. Malignant lymphoma in northern Iraq: A retrospective analysis of 270 cases according to the World Health Organization classification. Indian J Cancer. 2011 Oct 1;48(4):446.
14. Mohammedzaki LB, Hasan KM, Polus RK, et al. Clinicopathological, immunhistochemical characteristic and the outcome of Hodgkin lymphoma patients in Erbil city, Iraq. Iraqi J Hematol. 2019;8(1):14-20.
15. Almasri NM. Hodgkins lymphoma in North Jordan. Does it have a different pattern?. Saudi Med J. 2004 Dec;25(12):1917-21.
16. Al-Sayes FM, Sawan A. Clinico-Pathological Study of Hodgkin's Disease in King Abdulaziz University Hospital, Jeddah. J Taibah Univ Sci. 2006 Jan 1;1(1):48-56.
17. Shanbhag S, Ambinder RF. Hodgkin lymphoma: a review and update on recent progress. CA Cancer J Clin. 2018 Mar;68(2):116-32.
18. Avagyan A, Danielyan S, Voskanyan A, et al .Treating adults with Hodgkin lymphoma in the developing world: a hospital-based cohort study from Armenia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2016;17:101-4.
19. Shamoon RP, Ali MD, Shabila NP. Overview and outcome of Hodgkin’s Lymphoma: Experience of a single developing country’s oncology centre. PloS one. 2018;13(4).
20. Siddiqui N, Ayub B, Badar F, et al . Hodgkin’s Lymphoma in Pakistan: A Clinico-epidemiological Study of 658 cases at a Cancer Center in Lahore. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2006;7:651-5.
21. Mondal SK, Mandal PK, Samanta TK, et al . Malignant lymphoma in Eastern India: A retrospective analysis of 455 cases according to World Health Organization classification. Indian J Med Paediatr Oncol . 2013 Oct;34(4):242.
22. Munker R, Hasenclever D, Brosteanu O, et al. Bone marrow involvement in Hodgkin's disease: an analysis of 135 consecutive cases. German Hodgkin's Lymphoma Study Group. J Clin Oncol. 1995 Feb;13(2):403-9.
23. Riyat MS. Hodgkin's disease in Kenya. Cancer. 1992 Feb 15;69(4):1047-51.
24. Georgii A, Fischer R, Hübner K, et al .Classification of Hodgkin's Disease Biopsies by a Panel of Four Histopathologists Report of 1,140 Patients from the German National Trial. Leukemia & lymphoma. 1993 Jan 1;9(4-5):365-70.
25. Kusminsky G, Abriata G, Forman D, et al . Hodgkin lymphoma burden in Central and South America. Cancer Epidemiol. 2016 Sep 1;44:S158-67.
26 . Law MF, Ng TY, Chan HN, et al . Clinical features and treatment outcomes of Hodgkin's lymphoma in Hong Kong Chinese. Arch Med Sci. 2014 Jun 29;10(3):498.
27. Von Wasielewski R, Mengel M, Fischer R, et al . Classical Hodgkin's disease. Clinical impact of the immunophenotype. Am J Pathol. 1997 Oct;151(4):1123.
28. Patkar N, Mehta J, Kulkarni B, et al . Immunoprofile of Hodgkin's lymphoma in India. Indian J Cancer. 2008 Apr 1;45(2):59.
29. Boo YL, Ting Y, Siew H, et al. Clinical features and treatment outcomes of Hodgkin lymphoma: A retrospective review in a Malaysian tertiary hospital. Blood Res. 2019 Sep 1;54(3):210-7.